Professional liability insurance is a kind of insurance taken out by certain professionals in order to get coverage for claims made against them by customers. The insurance might apply to doctors and in this case it is called Medical Malpractice, or to Public Notaries for whom it is named Errors and Omissions Insurance (E&O). Real estate brokers, appraisers, management consultants, website developers will also contract E&O insurance.
Software developers and technology consultants may benefit of this insurance too. In their case, the insurance covers the failure to perform, financial loss and errors and omissions of the products or services sold. In a single word, this professional indemnity insurance may apply to any business that provides advice or gives a service.
But let's see in what ways professional indemnity insurance will protect your business:
1. For example you made a mistake in the professional services offered to your client out of negligence, or you might have lost or damaged their data and these results in litigation. The insurer may represent you before the court and defend you and in case you become liable for damages, the insurance will cover those costs, limited to your level of coverage.
2. The mistake has been done and you decide to fix it. The insurance will provide you with funds for that, thus avoiding larger claims on the part of the client.
3. If one of your employees steals your client's money, the insurance will cover for the loss incurred.
4. Breach of intellectual property leads to a dispute. When literary and artistic works, inventions, designs and images have been misused, you might find yourself as a professional in a legal dispute which can be stressful and costly. Taking out insurance will cover the cost of the lawsuit.
5. Facing a trial can severely damage your reputation. Being insured and capable to defend yourself will save you and enable you to continue your career.
Looking at the cost of this insurance it has to be noted that it is particularly high for those professions with high risks, but the benefit of the insurance will outweigh the costs. The insurance cost is established on the basis of the percentage of the company's total spending.
The needs differ according to the profession. Maybe it is high time for you to contact a reliable insurance broker and discuss all insurance options possible to offer you real protection in case of trouble with clients. As a professional firm or practice, you have to take out professional indemnity insurance frequently as a compulsory requirement of your company, your client and to protect yourself and your business.